Home >> Brands >> Danelectro >> Danelectro History
Danelectro
Products News History Links









Danelectro is a manufacturer of musical instruments and accessories, specializing in guitars, bass guitars, amplifiers and effects units.

Danelectro was founded by Nathan Daniel in 1947; throughout the late forties, the company produced amplifiers for Sears, Roebuck, and Co. and Montgomery Ward. In 1954, Danelectro started producing the Silvertone and Danelectro lines of solidbody electric guitars, later hollow-bodied (constructed out of Masonite and plywood to save costs and increase production speed,) distinguished by Silvertones' maroon vinyl covering, Danelectros' light tweed covering, the concentric stacked tone/volume knobs used on the two-pickup models of both series, and the "lipstick-tube" pickups of both--invented by cramming the entire mechanism into spare lipstick tubes--these lines aimed to produce no-frills guitars of reasonably good tone at low cost. In 1956, Danelectro introduced the six-string electric bass, which would be adopted by other companies such as Fender with the Fender VI, but never proved especially popular. In 1966, Danelectro was sold to MCA. A year later, the Coral line was introduced, known for its hollow-bodies and electric sitars. In 1969, the Danelectro plant was closed, due to MCA's attempt to market Danelectros to small guitar shops, rather than large department stores.

In the late 1990s, the Evets Corporation started selling primarily copies of old Silvertone and Danelectro guitars and newly designed effects pedals, and small amplifiers.
External Danelectro Links
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Over 140,000 Items In Stock and Ready to Ship
 
Search