Click image for closeup
The newly renamed makemusic! (formerly Coda Music Technologies) has released Finale 2003.
New features include: New interface
Music Scanning with SmartScore Lite
- 14 interface styles to suit both classical and contemporary compositions - or just your mood.
- Choose from 25 backgrounds or use your own graphics.
- Fresh look and feel with 1700 graphic improvements.
- Completely customisable to your style of working. Over 300 elements can be altered to suit every musician.
SmartScore Lite lets musicians transform printed sheet music into editable, printable files more accurately than other notation software. Comprehensive Guitar Tab system
Finale 2003 has more support for fretted instruments. Over 40 instruments and styles have their own specific tablature (ranging from custom-tuned six-strings and basses to lutes, mandolins, banjos, ukuleles, dulcimers and sitars). Note entry is simple, and can either be inputted as standard notation or directly as tab. Owners of MIDI guitars can notate as they play, and other guitarists can use MicNotator to notate single line melodies. Creative Tools
Finale 2002 introduced the concept that notation software can be more than just a 'word processor' for music. By integrating technology from Band-in-a-Box, Finale can generate up to six-part harmonies for a given melody in a huge range of styles. Also, the Exercise Wizard is now a massive time-saver for both music teachers and working musicians, automatically creating musical exercises for any of Finale's supported instruments - in just seconds. Worksheets are a breeze, and a whole band's warm up session can be completed and printed in minutes.
Finale 2003 adds two new creative tools for composers.
- Rhyming dictionary - Enter any word for a complete list of every English rhyme known. It's not just a time saver, but can be a great sparking-point for creativity, or use it to give you that nudge you need to get over a bout of songwriter's block.
Document setup and spacing options
- Rhythm section generator - Finale 2003 will automatically add basslines, piano parts and percussion to a melody in just seconds.
Finale 2003 lets you customise your default pages in every detail. Save your preferences as a Library, and every new document will begin with your choice of font, spacing, beaming, repeats, rests, signature - everything exactly to your specification. Pricing
Finale 2003 retail - $600/£479 including vat, Finale 2003 academic - $300/£199 excluding vat. Upgrades for Finale owners from - $109.95/£74.95 including vat. Crossgrades also available. Release dates
Finale 2003 for Windows is shipping now. Finale 2003 for Mac is expected in July.
For more information, visit their web site at www.codamusic.com