Click image for closeup
Shure Incorporated today announced the introduction of the latest addition to its line of precision-engineered Beta microphones, the side-address, supercardioid Beta 27. The new Beta 27 delivers the unmatched sound quality and durability that have made Shure microphones invaluable for more than 80 years of stage performance and studio recording around the world. The Beta 27 is unique in the industry as the only side-address, supercardioid condenser microphone designed for professional sound reinforcement. It was developed in response to audio engineers' desire for a condenser mic that offers better isolation of the sound source. "Live acts have been using cardioid large diaphragm condenser mics for years, on drum overhead and guitar/bass cabinets," says Chad Wiggins, Shure's Category Manager for Wired Products. "But for some big stages, engineers want more focus and better isolation of the sound source. That's what the Beta 27 offers. Plus, it's durable and it travels light ¿¿¿ that's a must for touring acts." The Beta 27's supercardioid polar pattern targets the sound source like no other side-address microphone available for fine detail in demanding acoustic environments. With its large diaphragm and extremely low self-noise, the Beta 27 defines sound quality and high-caliber performance. "Stage and studio are converging," adds Wiggins. "While the Beta 27 can handle multiple uses for studio recording projects, many acts nowadays are recording their live shows, and they want to put studio condensers on their stage. But, other microphones that are currently available pick up more splash and stage wash than the engineer might want. The Beta 27 is the answer." Like the other precision-engineered mics in Shure's Beta line, the Beta 27 is crafted for superior focus of sound reproduction and high gain-before-feedback. Ideal for professional sound engineers and performers who demand the ultimate in reliability, Beta 27 redefines control for essential, expert sound reinforcement in a wide variety of demanding applications and changing environments. "It is the perfect complement to the SM57 as a second guitar mic," says Matt West, Front of House engineer for Phoenix, Mot¿¿rhead, The Cure, Snoop Dogg, and many others. "It is very full bodied and doesn't really require a great deal of hacking in the top end region to get the warmth out of a guitar. It is there already. I would be happy to permanently place it in my channel list for any band that I work with." Unique features of the Beta 27 include:
- Supercardioid polar pattern specifically targets the sound source consistently with greatly minimized bleed from off-axis sound sources.
- Tailored for superior transient response from a low-mass, one inch externally-biased, ultra-thin 24 Karat gold-layered Mylar¿¿ diaphragm.
- Flat, neutral frequency response for natural reproduction on stage or in the studio.
- Three-position switchable low-frequency filter helps reduce unwanted stage rumble or counteract proximity effect for consistent, extended low-end.
- -15 dB switchable attenuator handles extremely high SPLs with ease.
- Premium electronic components and gold-plated internal and external connectors
- Internal pop filter with three separate mesh layers reduces wind and breath noise.
Pricing and Availability $399.00 retail [$499.00 MSRP] The Beta 27 side-address condenser microphone is available now, carries a two-year limited warranty, and can be purchased at select retail partners.